Wish You Were Charging Here: Ford Names 20 Cool Places to Charge Your Electric VehicleFord names 20 cool places to charge your electric vehicle.
- Ford has named its 20 cool places to charge an electric vehicle, including CenturyLink Field in Seattle, wineries in Napa Valley, downtown Chicago and a resort in Hawaii
- Charging locations were evaluated based on a number of factors including proximity to a scenic view, landmark/attraction, or dining and shopping centers
- Ford’s aggressive electrification strategy includes the launch of five electrified vehicles in North America by 2012 and Europe by 2013. The new Focus Electric – the company’s first all-electric passenger car – is a zero-emissions, gasoline-free version of Ford’s global Focus model
DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 5, 2011 – When Ford’s all-new Focus Electric and C-MAX Energi hit the streets, customers will have plenty of options on where to recharge their vehicle. Whether it’s stopping at the zoo, a museum or shopping in a downtown area, vehicle charging stations are popping up in a variety of locations across the country. So where are the cool places to charge? Ford may have found the answer with its list of the “20 Cool Places to Charge in the U.S.”The 20 locations on Ford’s list alphabetically are:
- Edison Park Fast Lot – New York, NY: Charge in the middle of the Big Apple at this station near Times Square and Broadway.
- Fashion Island, Newport Beach, CA: Shoppers can hit one of Orange County’s premier outdoor shopping centers while their car charges outside.
- Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco, CA: This destination lets visitors recharge while they enjoy waterfront dining, shopping, and sightseeing in the city by the bay’s popular tourist area.
- Give Kids the World Village, Kissimmee, FL: This nonprofit center gives children with life-threatening illnesses a memorable experience they will never forget. It also set up EV charging for friends, families and contributors.
- Greenville Zoo, Greenville, SC: A charge station at this zoo lets visitors spend time with wild animals while their vehicle charges.
- Hall Wines and Clif Family Winery, St. Helena, CA: Charging stations at these two wineries let visitors take in the scenery while their vehicle charges.
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, Honolulu, Hawaii: Schedule rest and relaxation at this beach resort as your electric vehicle charges outside.
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, Houston, TX: Visitors can have a day of fun with nature and animals while their vehicle charges.
- Los Angeles Convention Center, Los Angeles, CA: Whether attending a convention or a Lakers game at the nearby Staples Center, this location offers a convenient location for visitors to charge their electric vehicles.
- Malibu Country Mart, Malibu, CA: A charge station at this unique shopping experience lets visitors look for celebrities or hit the stores while their vehicle charges.
- Mall of America – Bloomington, MN: EV drivers can enjoy shopping, entertainment, and a variety of other attractions at this mega-mall while their vehicle charges.
- Magnificent Mile – Downtown Chicago, IL: Located on Michigan Avenue, allows EV drivers to enjoy the experiences of one of the most iconic streets in America.
- Mint Street Parking Garage – Downtown Charlotte, NC: A first-class view of downtown Charlotte gives these charging station users a unique perspective.
- NFL Stadiums: CenturyLink Field, Seattle and M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD: Charging stations at the home of the Seattle Seahawks and Baltimore Ravens let fans tailgate and cheer their team on while their electric vehicle charges.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN: This solar-powered electric vehicle charging station offers an extremely energy efficient way to charge.
- Peaches Bed & Breakfast, Grand Rapids, MI: Spend the night at this historic manor while your electric vehicle charges.
- Ruby Falls, Chattanooga, TN: Charge your vehicle while visiting the Americas highest underground waterfalls.
- Santa Monica Plaza Shopping Center, Santa Monica, CA: Beach lovers can head to this charging station for easy access to the Santa Monica Pier.
- Science Museum of Richmond and Children’s Museum of Richmond, VA: Set between two museums, visitors will have a choice of destination with easy access to charging.
- Stevens Pass Mountain Resort, Leavenworth, WA: A charging station at this ski resort lets owners hit the slopes and recharge at the same time.
“This list demonstrates that drivers of the Focus Electric can charge at exciting locations across America,” said Jeanette Clute, Ford manager of Sustainable Business Strategies. “The variety of options throughout the country is also a good indicator that cities and communities are accelerating preparation for electric vehicles.” Each location was evaluated based on a variety of factors including proximity to a view or landmark or dining and shopping opportunities. Ford is tracking more than 3,000 public charge stations in 2011, and expects that figure to quadruple by the end of 2013, indicating that this is an exciting and dynamic time for electric vehicle infrastructure. This evaluation also is reflective of Ford’s engagement with helping to ensure that cities have the infrastructure necessary to support electric vehicles.
Where would you like to charge?
Is there a really cool place you would like to see an EV charging station installed? Maybe near Mt. Rushmore? Outside your favorite sports teams stadium? Or maybe near the beach? If you have a place in mind, Ford wants to know and have you show us your station. Go to the Ford Electric Vehicles Facebook page (www.facebook.com/fordelectricvehicles) and print out the picture of the EV charging station under the “Show us Your Station tab.” Then, take a photo of you with the charging station at the cool place you would like to charge and post the image to the Facebook page. Ford will review all the submissions and list the 10 coolest places submitted to us.
The Power of Choice
Electrification is an important piece of Ford’s overall product sustainability strategy. Ford’s aggressive strategy includes the launch of five electrified vehicles in North America by 2012 and Europe by 2013. Ford launched the Transit Connect Electric small commercial van in 2010, will launch Focus Electric later this year and will introduce C-MAX Hybrid, a second next-generation lithium-ion battery hybrid and C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid in 2012. The range of electrified vehicles allows Ford to meet a variety of consumer driving needs.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 166,000 employees and about 70 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit www.ford.com.