NovaCharge, a leader in the deployment of EV charging infrastructure, today announced that NASA has installed six ChargePoint® networked electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, manufactured by Coulomb Technologies, in Cape Canaveral, Florida. The stations are installed at NASA’s Propellants North Administrative and Maintenance Facility, NASA’s greenest building. The facility achieved the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Environmental and Energy Design (LEED) Platinum status, the highest LEED rating. NovaCharge’s sales partner, Futuris, assisted with the sale.
NASA’s Propellants North Administrative and Maintenance Facility consists of two buildings, one to store cryogenic fuel transfer equipment and one to house personnel who support fueling spacecraft. The recently rebuilt buildings will be NASA’s first carbon neutral facility, which means it will produce enough energy on site from renewable sources to offset what it requires to operate. In addition to its environmentally friendly features, such as a rainwater harvesting system for non-potable water irrigation and restroom use and more than 300 high-efficient solar panels on the roof, Propellants North has other NASA Kennedy Space Center-specific touches. These include reusing deconstructed windows and framing from the historic Launch Control Center and landscaping mulch made from recycled crushed crawler way rocks.
“Coulomb’s ChargePoint® Network provides us with an online browser-based management portal that allows us to learn about our charging stations’ electricity usage, greenhouse gas and gasoline savings and EV charging behavior,” said Bruce Chesson, from NASA.
“We are proud to be a part of NASA’s innovative efforts to go green,” said Helda Rodriguez, president of NovaCharge. “The use of green building technologies and electric vehicles are two key facets of America’s efforts to transform the nation’s economy and address environmental concerns. As a truly innovative organization, NASA is a leader in environmental conservation and they are continually launching new initiatives to create a sustainable world.”
The ChargePoint® Network is open to all drivers of plug-in vehicles and all manufacturers of plug-in vehicle charging stations. ChargePoint® Network’s unique features include:
- The ability for a station owner to set fees for use of their stations (including free charging)
- The ability for drivers to access stations without a subscription via contactless credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover)
- 24/7/365 telephone driver support via a toll free number on all ChargePoint® stations
- Smart Grid ready with built in Utility Grade Capable Metering, Time of Use (TOU) pricing and Demand Response (DR) control
- Smart Phone applications (iPhone and Blackberry) to find unoccupied stations and navigate to them
- The lowest operating cost possible due to real-time operational monitoring, alerts, diagnosis, and control of millions of ChargePoints®